Hawthorne Global is a leading provider of container drayage services in the Houston area. For decades, we have provided our clients with high-quality service and competitive pricing. We offer a wide range of services with benefits that include:
- Custom Solutions – We tailor our drayage services to fit your needs.
- Experienced Drivers – Our team of experienced drivers ensure your cargo is safely transported and protected at all times.
- Dedicated Fleet – Our fleet of trucks and equipment is dedicated exclusively to Hawthorne Global customers.
- Overweight Containers – With our specialized equipment we can handle all heavy cargo requirements.
- Tracking Technology – Access to the latest tracking technology ensures timely transport and security of your cargo through every step of the drayage process.
- Cross Docking/Transload – Working with our secured warehouse operations we can provide short term storage and handling of containerized cargo.
Contact us today to learn how we can help with your container drayage needs.
What is Container Drayage?
Container drayage refers to the movement of shipping containers from a port or rail yard to a nearby destination, such as a warehouse or distribution center. Drayage can also involve the transportation of containers from a warehouse or distribution center to a port or rail yard.
Container drayage is a critical aspect of logistics, and selecting the right drayage company is essential for ensuring the timely and safe delivery of your goods. By considering factors such as reputation, experience, services offered, location, and price, as well as factors that can impact pricing, you can choose a drayage company that meets your needs and helps your business succeed.
Types of Drayage Services
Drayage services can include:
- Port Drayage: This involves the transportation of shipping containers from the port to the consignee’s location or a warehouse.
- Rail Drayage: This involves the transportation of shipping containers from the rail yard to the consignee’s location or a warehouse.
- Intermodal Drayage: This involves the transportation of shipping containers between different modes of transportation, such as from a port to a rail yard or from a rail yard to a trucking terminal.
- Export Drayage: This involves the transportation of shipping containers from the consignee’s location or a warehouse to the port for export.
- Import Drayage: This involves the transportation of shipping containers from the port to the consignee’s location or a warehouse for import.
Considerations on Pricing
Factors that can impact drayage pricing include:
- Distance: The distance between the port, rail yard, or trucking terminal and the consignee’s location or warehouse can impact pricing. Longer distances require more fuel, time, and labor, which can increase the cost.
- Equipment: The type of equipment needed to transport the container can impact pricing. For example, if the container is oversized or overweight, specialized equipment and overweight permits may be required, which can increase the cost.
- Access to Port/Rail Yard: Some ports and rail yards may have limited access or require specific permits, which can impact pricing.
- Service Level: The level of service required can impact pricing. For example, if a customer requires same-day or expedited delivery, the cost may be higher than standard delivery.
- Fuel Costs: Fuel costs can fluctuate, and these fluctuations can impact pricing.
- Seasonal Demand: Seasonal demand can impact pricing, as peak shipping seasons can increase demand, create port congestion and drive-up prices.
- Insurance: The level of insurance coverage required can impact pricing. Higher insurance coverage may result in higher costs.
How to Select a Drayage Company
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting a drayage company:
- Reputation: Look for a company with a good reputation in the industry. Check online reviews, ask for references, and look for a company with a proven track record of delivering containers on time and in good condition.
- Experience: Choose a company with experience in container drayage. Ask how long they’ve been in business, how many containers they handle annually, and what type of equipment they have.
- Services offered: Make sure the drayage company offers the services you need. For example, do they offer both import and export drayage? Do they have the necessary equipment to handle your containers?
- Location: Choose a drayage company that operates in the areas you need service. Consider the distance between the port or rail yard and your warehouse or distribution center and choose a company with a location that is convenient for your needs.
- Price: Compare prices from multiple drayage companies, but don’t choose a company solely based on price. Consider the value they offer, their reputation, and their experience in the industry.
By considering these factors, you can select a drayage company that meets your needs and budget. Don’t just choose the company with the lowest price, but also consider their experience, reputation, and services offered. With the right drayage company, you can ensure that your goods are delivered on time and in good condition, and that your business succeeds.
Trust Hawthorne Global With Your Container Drayage Needs
As you can see, there is a lot to consider when it comes to container drayage. You can mitigate running into unforeseen issues by trusting Hawthorne Global with your containers.
When it comes to choosing a drayage provider, Hawthorne Global is a sure bet. We’ve been servicing clients from small, regional businesses to multinational corporations for decades. We know that cheap is never good and good is never cheap, but we remain competitive in our pricing. And, as always, you’ll get the elite customer service we have built our reputation on.
Contact us and let us show you why when companies need container drayage services, we are one of their top options.
Get a Quote
Fill out the form below and one of our customer service representatives will reach out to you as soon as possible.